Kitchen cabs get a grey chalk wash

Well the kitchen painting saga continues....
Just as I was about to go to Lowes and buy the ivory Valspar paint
 to cover all the chalk paint I stopped to read
which featured the color GREY.
Could I really be persuaded by this one image?
Yes I was!
Tina had this Habersham kitchen image in her post.
I am a huge fan of Habersham!
They have that oodles of money but distressed look,
and this kitchen is no exception.
There is a combination of a cream color in an upper cabinet
 that looks wonderful with the distressed grey.
My mind started backtracking....
I could imagine the bottoms in grey, the tops in cream.
The next thing I knew I was in the kitchen on the floor.
With my chalk paint and brush in hand!
However, full strength Paris Grey was too dark for my taste
 so I added about 50% water and
mixed up a batch of grey wash.
 Working very quickly I brushed it all over
 the bottom cabs and then wiped it off with a rag.
I think I was liking it, so I just kept going.
After it dried I sanded lightly to Habbersham it up.
The tricky part was making the wash look the same on all of the cabinets.
Lucky for me I am NOT a perfectionist when it comes to distressing.
Now I realize I can't have perfect white uppers with Habbershammy lowers....
The uppers will get a light sanding on the edges of the paneled centers.
I still have another coat to do on most of the uppers
 but this cabinet shown has two coats.
You can see the sanding dust on the knobs.
The light has been lousy with the cloudy weather.
Someone said the cabs look green, but trust me, they are ivory white.
It is the overhead lighting casting this irky tone,
because Mr. Sun is not in Boston today.
The painting continues, and yes I am still using chalk paint.
Like I said, it you are going to distress, use the chalk paint.
If not, don't.
Enchanted Home blog also showed this kitchen from Country Living
 that I have in my idea files as well.
This is a little too dark and rustic for how I want my kitchen to look,
however I like the general look.
An apron sink and marble counters are on my wish list....
I also found inspiration from this kitchen
Mikey redid this kitchen on a shoestring,
and it is all creams and whites with open shelving and vintage brackets.
I find it so appealing.
Paris Grey wash over Old White on bottom cabinets.
The journey continues.

linking to
and





No comments:

Post a Comment