"You look like Diane Keaton!" Really?


Dianes photo source
 Let me say first of all, that I love Diane Keaton~!  
I have thought many times that I hope I age as cool as she has~
she's got style and wit and panache and exudes 
confidence in the way she lives her life.
Yesterday after my Advanced Workshop finished up hubby and I went out
for dinner to one of our regular haunts. 
 Its a steakhouse that we have come to 
feel very comfortable at~but we have noticed all the regulars working
 there seem to have left and been replaced by new people. 
 We like to eat at the bar, and this night was like any other...
except the 30 something bartender was either brand new at her job 
or she just wasn't that good at it.
But we skipped past most of her faux pas....
until in mid bite of my steak she came 
up to me and just out of the blue said, 
"Do you know who you look like??!"
I used to be told I looked like Heather Locklear or Vanna White, 
but that hasn't happened to me in the last couple of years I confess. 
 At any rate, I waited for her to tell me 
I looked like Vanna or Heather but instead she gushes, 
" You look like Diane Keaton!!! 
Do you know who she is??"
My brain kind of stutter stepped...
I am thinking, you mean Diane Keaton who is a lot older than me??
I had a hard time thinking I looked like her, even though
 I think she is cool~but I am thinking, do I look that OLD??? 
 So I just smiled and said , Oh thanks, yeah she is great!" 
But inside I was a bit freaked out! Really? Do I look like Diane Keaton? 
 She is 13 years older than I am!!  
And I was kind of feeling pretty sitting there 
next to my hubby~wow. How to deflate a girls ego...gaaaahhhhh!
As we finished up dinner the bartender came over to clear our plates. 
Hubby always orders surf and turf, eats the surf and takes the 
turf home for his lunch the next day.  On his plate sat his sirloin steak, 
and as she grabbed the plates and was asking us if we wanted 
desert she flung his steak into the trash right under the bar in front of hubby's eyes! 
Now it was his turn to be horrified!!! As soon as she did it, 
she saw his expression, and said , "Tell me you didn't want that steak....?" 
 "Yes I did" hubs replied~she said just wait for fifteen minutes 
and I will get the kitchen to cook a new one for you...
well we were ready to split the scene. She apologized and said 
"I just wasn't thinking", to which I responded, "No, you weren't" 
 and I wanted to add something about the Diane remark 
but clearly she thought I would be thrilled to think I was 
13 years older than I actually am. We ended up with a
 credit on our bill and a memorable if unpleasant trip to 
our now former favorite steak house. 
 How to remedy a situation like that~
we drove up to hubby's favorite place for an ice cream sundae!!!
 Putnam Pantry~the place where they make home made
candies and ice cream! It's been in Massachusetts forever!
 The movie stars of yesteryear used to come to Putnam Pantry.
Some photos dot the walls of this old fashioned and old building,
like this one of Helen Hayes eating a sundae.
 Our photo is not on the wall, but here we are in line to order two regular sundaes!
 Its a sundae bar, you can see our silver bowls with vanilla icecream and the help yourself buffet. Marshmallow, penuche, strawberries, hot fudge, walnuts, homemade whipped cream, etc....can you say stuffed fat pig? That is what you will feel like after you eat your big fat sundae.
The ice cream table and chairs are so cute! 
We got a fireside table with a hokey portrait of Colonel Putnam
 watching over us.  Mr. Maison Decor jumped into the photo 
carrying the mini cups of water required to wash one's sundae down.  
He is being goofy because he knew I was going to blog this event 
(the Diane Keaton identity crisis).
 I ain't no Diane Keaton...
and I know I am no Heather Locklear anymore either...
(but neither is she probably)
Maybe a big sundae will make me feel better.
Yum. I felt better. Fat, but better.
I guess this departure of a blog is just to say its tough getting older, isn't it?
Honestly, on a day you are feeling pretty good about yourself you 
get an assessment test by your ill witted bartender. 
I hope to grow old gracefully and stay reasonably put together,
for me and my husbands sake.  Clearly Diane is doing a good job!! 
She looks like me!!! You rock Diane!
I hope I look as young as you in 13 years!!
On the horizon my plans include taking the first week of April off to head to
 New Orleans for our annual Annie Sloan stockist meeting!!
 I will be headed south with Justin where we will spend 5 days
 hanging out with Annie and company~attending seminars 
and cocktail parties and meeting fellow stockists.
 Malden Maison Decor store will be closed April 1-8,
 Boston will be open its regular Friday-Sunday on  April 5,6,7.

Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment