Cottage French Washroom

 This is my heavenly washroom.
Powder blue and cream cabinets with glaze and crackle
 and fancy molding and a heck of a ceiling.
 A tromp l'oeil tin ceiling wallpaper gives this little 
laundry bath room a big dose of style.
I bought this online at D.Marie Wallpapers on eBay.
It has a clover or quatrefoil and lattice design.
 It was pre-pasted and I did it in sections and then fit it together. 
 The grid lines hide the joints and it ended up being really easy!
A vintage looking baby chandelier in iron and crystal
 from Lowes gives it added glamour at a great price ($65)!
I cut a pine shelf to fit behind the washer and dryer
 to hold garden accessories for the potting shed look I wanted.
Combination laundry and bathrooms are usually not that "pretty".
I wanted "pretty" as this is our first floor bathroom used by guests.
.My window treatment is a Mombasa mosquito tent I cut to pieces on impulse after 
the pair of cream matelasse panels I created were too stiff and formal for the space.
White wood blinds are underneath for privacy.
The styrofoam molding on top of the cabinets was
 added to mimic a Habersham cabinet style I fell in love with.
It instantly transformed this room.
The sink vanity got the same paint treatment,
 and someday I plan to add a marble countertop with bronze fixtures.
                           I replaced the wall light fixture with a simple bronze farmhouse number, and
added an ornate mirror and a simple bronze robe hook for a hand towel.
A small shelf  holds some eye candy.
Behind the door are hooks for hanging clothes that need to air dry.
So my french cottage garden style washroom is now a reality!
What would a project be without a few before pictures...
 Maple cabinets without the completed molding have been like this for 5 years!
I am officially on record as preferring painted cabinets.
There was an 8" gap behind the washer/dryer that I planned to hide with a shelf.
Basic, boring and blah.
Look at those horrible light fixtures. Ugh.
I added a cutesy valance and it looked even worse.
Interestingly, I never painted the walls~they weren't the problem.
So...I painted the cabs first with Elmers glue to make them crackle,
then  "cream in my coffee" Valspar signature paint, 
loved how it looked...
then I glazed them with Valspar antique glaze,
and hated them..... 
 So I added the pale blue paint on the raised panels.
Then I fell madly in love with them!
I am no painter, if I can do this, anyone can.
I just remember Miss Mustard Seed saying:
" at some point in the project it always looks horrid before it looks good".
Now the molding is about to get painted and the shelf 
will hide the cutout for water access and the gap.
Then came the new  lights, the ceiling treatment, and the wispy curtain...
Ten thousand times nicer!
Voila!
I couldn't be happier with my washroom.
It feels like it belongs in our home now.
The best part is,
Mr. Maison Decor loves it as much as I do!
+ smiling +

linking to 
and
and
and
and
and
and

No comments:

Post a Comment